Essential oils used
Fragrances added to various products helps us decide what to buy.
This proves that the sense of smell plays an important part in our lives; however most of the time we are not aware of it if and this fact is often abused.
We are used to strong, heavy fragrances served by the chemical industry. Just walk in to any chemist and the vast array of synthetic aromas takes all space around us often causing a headache to sensitive individuals. They are
cheap, easy to produce and don't offer any therapeutic benefits. They only capture fragrance not found in nature.
Essential oils have been used medicinally and as perfumes for centuries. They contribute beneficial properties to soaps as they can be antifungal, antibacterial, sleep inducing, can stimulate the mind, or be calming. They are the volatile, aromatic components of barks, berries, leaves, flowers, fruits, seeds, mosses, resins, twigs and stems of plants and each plant has its own unique characteristics. Research has shown that there are over a thousand different chemical compounds in the range of essential oils and many more still to be identified. They are highly concentrated medical compounds that should not to be used neat on the skin or taken internally.
Essential oils are "demanding"-they don't like sunlight, have to kept in glass bottles and must come from a reputable manufacturer especially as there are many falsifications of the expensive oils.
The intensity of smell doesn't in any way determine the quality of the soap.
Below is a small range of oils used in our soaps with very brief characteristics of each.
- basil - sweet, spicy, green scent with balsamic undertone; antiseptic, stimulating, strengthening, gently antidepressant
- cedarwood Atlas - deep, sweet, woody scent, antiseptic, helps with acne, scalp infections
- citronella - strong, lemon- scented, strong antiseptic, tonic, bactericidal, deodorant, insect repelling
- clove bud - sweet, spicy, oriental scent, warming, energising, soothing
- cinnamon - warm, spicy scent, warming, reviving, uplifting, light aphrodisiac
- tea tree - clear, fresh, camphoric scent, strong antiseptic, antifungal & antibacterial, antiviral, penetrating, stimulating, refreshing
- eucalyptus - camphoric, woody, clean scent, stimulating, refreshing, clearing, balsamic
- geranium - delicate rosy scent, tonic, antidepressant, uplifting, balancing
- juniper berry - clear, sweet, honey, pine scent, purifying, clearing, reviving
- lavender - sweet floral, herbaceous scent, soothing, calming, antidepressant, antimicrobial, antiseptic, insect repellent, the most versatile oil from all
- lemongrass - pungently sweet, fresh lemon scent, antimicrobial, deodorant, tonic, refreshing, stimulating, insecticide
- marjoram (sweet & wild) - warm, woody, spicy, nutty scent, sedative, restorative, warming, comforting
- may-chang - spicy, lemony, citrus aroma, refreshing, stimulating uplifting, relieving fatigue and lethargy, promoting physical relaxation and mental calm
- peppermint & spearmint - fresh, bright, penetrating, clean scent, refreshing, restorative, stimulant, anti-inflammatory, nerve tonic
- myrtle - clear, fresh, balsamic, anticatarrhal, antiseptic, astringent, lightly stimulating, uplifting
- nutmeg - rich, spicy, oriental, sweet, warm scent, analgesic, tonic, comforting, digestive, stimulant, tonic
- patchouli - sweet, musty, earthy scent, antimicrobial, antitoxic, nerve tonic, uplifting, calming, moths repellent
- orange - sweet, warm, sensual, fresh, fruity scent, tonic, refreshing, uplifting, antidepressant, anti-inflammatory, soothing
- pine -fresh, balsamic, woody, strong scent, antimicrobial, antiviral, balsamic, stimulant, strengthening, reviving, soothing
- rosemary - fresh, herbaceous, minty, balsamic scent, stimulant, analgesic, antiseptic, tonic, strengthening, reviving,
- sage - fresh, herbaceous, penetrating scent, refreshing, invigorating, clearing, astringent, deodorant, antidepressant
- thyme -warm, spicy-herbaceous, fresh, sporty, green scent, stimulating, restorative, purifying, refreshing, balsamic, astringent, antimicrobial, antirheumatic
- vetivert - deep, earthy, smoky, woody scent, sedative, soothing, calming, antiseptic, tonic
- ylang-ylang - rich, sweet, balsamic, jasmine-like scent, soothing, calming, aphrodisiac, antidepressant, anti-infectious, antiseptic, tonic, oriental